Tuesday, February 10, 2009

God V/s Science

Dear Friends,


I am sure u have read this story before...but I am posting it again as the last line of this story says: "And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:30-31).


AN ELDERLY GENTLEMAN was traveling alone on a train in France... A much younger man, sitting next to him, watched the older man take out his Bible and begin to read. After a while, the younger man decided to strike up a conversation, and he asked, "What are you reading?"

The older man replied, "I am reading from the sixth chapter of John in the New Testament." "What does it say?" the young man asked.


"Oh, it's the story of the miracle of the loaves and fishes. The Gospel writer tells us about a vast crowd that had followed Jesus because of the signs He was performing for the sick, and how Jesus preached to the crowd until it was dark. They were hungry, and with only five barley loaves and a couple of dried fish, Jesus fed the entire crowd of 5,000. And the leftovers filled twelve baskets."


Scornfully and cynically, the younger man said, "Surely you don't believe that!"

But the older man answered, "Oh, yes I do."


To which the younger man said, "Well, I can see that you have been brainwashed by ancient superstitions. Not me! That could never happen to me because, you see, I am a scientist. The only thing I trust and believe in is what can be proven scientifically. The story you have read defies the laws of science, and therefore I can't accept it. Give me facts, provable facts. As a man of science, I have no faith in miracles. But, of course, I can't expect you to understand that."


At that point, the train began to slow down. "Here is my station," said the young man as he rose from his seat. "It was nice talking to you, Mr.--I'm sorry, I didn't get your name." With that, the older man reached into his pocket and pulled out his business card. He handed it to the younger man. The younger man looked at it. Imagine his surprise; the name on the card was Louis Pasteur...one of the great scientists of all time.


"And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:30-31).

No comments: